baslinux - Re: [BL] Emachine Etower 333 only boots with kernel 2.4.31, loadlin

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Emachine Etower 333 only boots with kernel 2.4.31, loadlin
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:58:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Karolis Lyvens wrote:

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 10:21:55PM +0300, Karolis Lyvens wrote:
On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 04:21:58PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
Can I specify a different kernel when booting with lilo without
reinstalling lilo? I tried 'lilo image=/boot/zimage' but it booted to the
kernel specified in lilo.conf.

You can copy the old kernel to, for example, /boot/oldimage, make a
symlink in place where lilo is looking for kernel, and point it to new
kernel image.
My mistake. Move the old kernel, not copy.

I made a backup copy of the original kernel, then deleted it and then symlinked a 2.2.16 kernel to the name of the original kernel.

LILO from boot floppy attempted to boot with the 2.2.16 kernel and got as far as LILO: BL2 and then rebooted, over and over and over.

Same thing as with loadlin. Something about this Emachine that only 2.4.31 (or 2.4.X anyway) can handle.

The previous owner said it was 'haunted'. The board is supposed to work at up to 5x100MHz but won't warm boot and the video is all messed up at any bus speed over 66Mhz. Probably has something else wrong with it. But video and sound are linux compatible.

I wonder why the Gateway works with older kernels and has problems with the new one.

Someone just gave us another computer, Super Socket 7, can take AT or ATX power supply, works at 400MHz, we will switch over the Gateway to it. Onboard SiS video which uses 2-8MB system RAM has caused problems on other computers but only if we switch to and from a PCI card. 'Tiger' case with
unlabelled board.