baslinux - Re: [BL] Parallel port CD-ROM drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: "baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org" <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Parallel port CD-ROM drive
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 15:18:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 20 May 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Karolis Lyvens wrote:

Is it possible to connect external parallel port CDROM drive to BasicLinux?
The model is MULTIPORT CD-JET SL.

According to another site, your CD-ROM drive has chip KBIC-971A and the third module for it would be kbic.o, so insmod paride, insmod pcd, insmod kbic.

How would we determine the chip name from the device itself?

Looking through 2.2.6 kernel modules, i couldn't find anything about this
kind of device...

http://cyberelk.net/tim/parport/paride.html
Linux Parallel Port Home Page, link to IDE page, which discusses a variety
of parport IDE devices including our zip drive (needs imm.o or ppa.o).

Our parport zip drives need also parport.o and parport_pc.o, so probably
does your device. Our drives are 'scsi' so don't emulate IDE in linux.

Yours is parallel-IDE/ATAPI. In addition to parport.o and parport_pc.o
you need paride.o (basic IDE parport driver), pcd.o (high level driver for
CD-ROM parport device) and a low-level driver specific to your drive,
listed at the above URL. We have a backpack, which needs bpck.o .

Steven has compiled and posted a large bzimage.big 2.2.26 kernel and all
the above modules at the BL3.40 home page.

kernel 2.2.6 is used by Slackware 4.0, but BL has switched to a later
kernel in the 2.2 series that supports some USB devices and probably has
fewer bugs than 2.2.6. You can use it with other kernels (and matching
modules). 2.4.31 supports USB storage (camera, memory stick). I posted
David Moberg's kernel and modules (also my own, a bit smaller with less
device support).

While looking for the home page I ran across a Wikipedia entry for 3.40
and a Softpedia entry claiming the latest version is 3.32. Same press
release in both.