baslinux - [BL] BL3.4 boots faster than BL3.3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3.4 boots faster than BL3.3
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:45:10 +0000 (UTC)

From a discussion of Abiword in Slovene:

Also, why does BL3.3 busybox take over a minute (total boot time 1.5
minutes)> to do whatever it is doing on one computer where BL3 is on a 540MB (slow old) drive but there is also a 6GB drive with BL2 on it and BL2 boots okay. Is this a hardware problem? We have other drives.

During boot it was running e2fsck on /hdb2 and /hdb3 and finding some problem. hdb1 is okay, and running e2fsck on hdb1 after booting BL3 went fast.

Floppy disk BL3.40 does not have this boot problem. We will replace 3.3 with 3.4 once we get it all working right on the laptop computer.

Just updating busybox did not fix the problem. Something else was changed in the boot process between BL3.3 and BL3.4 - what?

Unplugging hdb also speeded up the boot (BL3 is on hda).

I don't know how hdb2 and hdb3 were formatted, probably not with linux fdisk because my partner prefers PQMAGIC.

Syschk crashes on this computer because it tries to test the IDE zip drive as a hard disk, but unplugging the zip drive did not help BL.