baslinux - Re: [BL] naim compiling was: BL 3.32 in qemu report/questions

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] naim compiling was: BL 3.32 in qemu report/questions
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 22:51:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 10 May 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

LDFLAGS="-static" ./configure && make

Is the default a static build?

No, it's whatever your linker (gcc or ld) builds by default. What I do
(and this is probably a very ugly hack) is to force all packages to be
built statically by moving /usr/bin/gcc (or /usr/local/bin/* if it is
there) to /usr/bin/gcc2, then put this script in /usr/bin/gcc:

#!/bin/sh
exec gcc2 -static "$@"

chmod +x this script or you won't be able to compile anything with it.

(Some packages do not use gcc for linking - they use ld, g++, c++, cc,
etc. You will need to set up a similar script for the linker that they
use.)

Is there some simple way to just compile this one naim package statically?
I can't try it for a while, we have given up getting this computer to boot again and will have to do some transplants of drives and cards to one that probably works (except it is fussy about keyboards).

Can you help with compiling midish (recent posting) where there was
a problem with atexit@@GLIBC_2.0?

Are you using SW81 glibc to build it? Are you using _only_ SW81
regular & development packages for its dependencies?

Yes (question one). I doubt it (second question). I changed from egcs to gcc 2.95.3 - should I use gcc 3.2.3? I upgraded binutils (to 2.12.90) and probably whatever else comes with 8.1 for compiling.

I can install gcc 3.2.3 and leave 2.95.3 and switch back if I want later.

Maybe I need to compile a different kernel
with midi port support? Can't find /dev/sequencer for playmidi -e .

Does /dev/sequencer exist?

I have a /dev/sequencer defined in /dev.

Have you set up your sound modules for
MPU-401 (MIDI port)? I've never tried playing to a MIDI keyboard on
BL3 - maybe I should dig out my keyboard for testing?

Please do, and let me know if it works for you and with which kernel.

insmod sb mpu_io=0x330 (etc.)
I tried also insmod mpu401 and then I think sound did not work at all - sb has it built-in, I think.

Could you check my config.sb (kernel 2.2.16) to see if I am missing something needed for midi? http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl (maybe in a subdirectory?). I should try my 2.4.31 kernel, where I included gameport and midi support, but I think bare.i for 7.1 had midi support - can you check that too?

David