baslinux - Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3

  • From: Kunle 'bona <debona2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:12:11 -0700 (PDT)

i want to sound a warning though - i actually should have sent this message much earlier but i havnt checked ny mail for a few days; anyway i've tried with glibc 2.3.2 from slackware 9.1 and while most programs work, i found out that my abiword always gave a "segmentation fault error", perhaps this will not be the case with 2.3.1 but it pays to be careful; anyway if that happens you could always use busybox to relink your files to the previous libs

David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com> wrote:
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> I've been experimenting with upgrade libraries for BL3
> and I've decided to recommend the Slackware 9.0 libraries.
>
> http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/library.html
>
> The 2.3.1 version of glibc should be compatible with
> just about everything.

As proof of this statement, here's how to get qemu installed in BL3.
You will need to get files from 8 packages: from SW90, one of the
suggested basic library upgrade packages:

l/glibc-solibs-2.3.1-i386-3.tgz

Also from SW90, you need libz and SDL for qemu, as well as SDL's dependencies:

l/zlib-1.1.4-i386-3.tgz
l/sdl-1.2.5-i386-1.tgz
l/esound-0.2.29-i386-1.tgz
l/arts-1.1-i386-2.tgz
l/audiofile-0.2.3-i386-3.tgz

Because BL3 does not come with libXext, you probably need to get it
from the SW40 (believe it or not, the SW90 glibc2 SDL libraries will
work perfectly with the SW40/BL3 libc5 X libraries):

x1/xbin.tgz

And of course, from the qemu website, the qemu binary package itself:

qemu-0.8.0-i386.tar.gz

You can install all 8 packages with the BL3 pkg command. You may want
to extract libXext manually, however, because installing xbin.tgz will
modify your X setup.

Once you have installed all of the packages, startx and execute qemu
from an xterm. To try out James' BL3 image inside of qemu inside of
BL3 (grin):

qemu -hda BL3.4-qemu.img

Enjoy!
David