baslinux - Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 04:10:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Kunle 'bona wrote:

i want to sound a warning though - i actually should have sent this message much earlier but i havnt checked ny mail for a few days; anyway i've tried with glibc 2.3.2 from slackware 9.1 and while most programs work, i found out that my abiword always gave a "segmentation fault error", perhaps this will not be the case with 2.3.1 but it pays to be careful; anyway if that happens you could always use busybox to relink your files to the previous libs

I can confirm, having upgraded to 2.3.2 on one computer which I had not run programs on since doing so.

I have identical Xvesa and abiword on this computer and one with SW8.1. On the latter, Abiword works, after complaining about locale modifiers. On this one it complains and then exits back to the prompt, but there is no explicit mention of a segmentation fault. I tried with both Xvesa and regular X.

BL2 just turned the monitor light from green to yellow (black screen) on exit from regular X but it is probably due more to my oddball video card than to Abiword (Trio 3D which displays oddly in SVGA X). Won't warm reboot either. Bedtime.

I have installed the newer libraries only to BL2 and should still be able to run Abiword in BL3 by chrooting to it (if I use the newer kernel in order to use the newer modules, of course).

I left glibc 2.2.5 so on there and could delete 2.3.1 and relink somehow (ldconfig?) from BL3 or BL2 ramdisk.

Would it make sense to install BL3 to two partitions and only upgrade the library in one, and use it for qemu and Opera and xpdf and sqlite?