baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.4 DOS version with BZIMAGE in QEMU

  • From: t.maiden AT att.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.4 DOS version with BZIMAGE in QEMU
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:27:08 +0000

QEMU works best with small-footprint guest OS's, and BL certainly qualifies
there. There are others such as DamnSmall and Feather linux. DamnSmall is
pledged to staying at 50 meg though they have started work on a larger
product, DamnSmall-Not! the beta of which is around 85 meg. The developers
of Feather have allowed their implementation to grow from 65 meg to over 100
so that they could include some of the better applications, like Abiword.
There is also Puppy, which has also grown to over 100 meg. as well. Some of
the other Slackware based implementations like Slax and Vector also run well
in QEMU because they are smaller and don't have "hogs" like Gnome or KDE
included. OO is nice but it too uses too much memory and CPU cycles...