baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:44:22 +1200

t.maiden wrote:

> the DOS Loopback .img file is the same as the two floppy .img files.
> I thought to use that I would have to load and run a DOS (MSDOS or
> FreeDOS) before that would work. Any ideas?

The *only* function of DOS in the DOS version is to
boot the kernel (using loadlin.exe). There are several
other methods (eg lilo) to boot the kernel which are
just as effective. DOS is just a convenient way to
boot Linux for users of old PCs (which often have DOS
installed already).

There are just two steps to running Linux:
(1) start the kernel
(2) tell the kernel where the root filesystem is

If you look at BOOT.BAT in BasicLinux:
loadlin zimage root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initfs.gz rw
The loadlin command boots the kernel (zimage) and tells it
to run /dev/loop0 as a read-write filesystem. The initrd
puts fs.img into /dev/loop0.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru