baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:43:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

t.maiden wrote:

the DOS Loopback .img file is the same as the two floppy .img files.
I thought to use that I would have to load and run a DOS (MSDOS or
FreeDOS) before that would work. Any ideas?

The *only* function of DOS in the DOS version is to
boot the kernel (using loadlin.exe). There are several
<snip>

I don't think this is going to work for him since he's trying to do this under qemu and is probably not wanting to install DOS. But the real issue is what t.maiden is trying to do: could you clarify, t.maiden? Are you trying to make a smaller qemu image, since my 100MB image is bigger than you think it should be? If so, how about this suggestion: when you're not actively running the BL3 image, you re-archive it using Winzip or some such. So it only takes up 5-10MB when not running. When you want to run it, unarchive it again. Does that approach address the issues?

James

PS qemu has a -kernel option and I thought this might be useable to specify the kernel to boot the FS.IMG file with. But my attempts at doing that failed. The man page specifies a bzImage using this -kernel switch: does it maybe only work on compressed kernels? Any insights on this, David?