baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:56:52 -0700

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> I believe QEMU is able to boot Linux kernels. So step one is
> possible. Can QEMU tell the kernel (via a parameter?) to use
> a particular filesystem image? ...namely fs.img

It should be able to. According to the documentation, addition of the
'-hda filename' option to the qemu command line will set up a virtual
hard disk from the contents of filename. And the '-append options'
option will allow you to pass options to the Linux kernel. So, at
least in theory we should be able to boot BL3 with something like
this:

qemu -kernel zimage -append "root=/dev/hda rw" -hda fs.img

> > does it maybe only work on compressed kernels?
>
> zimage kernels are compressed too. But that shouldn't be
> an issue. Kernels unzip themselves.

Someone, please try the above command line with fs.img and zimage.
Then try replacing zimage with a bzImage, e.g. the bzimage.big add-on
kernel. When I tried this, the zimage boot process froze before
Uncompressing Linux... but the bzImage booted correctly.

This might be a bug in qemu.

David