baslinux - Re: [BL] FM synthesis (for sindi and any others interested)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FM synthesis (for sindi and any others interested)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:24:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Folks,

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:34:10 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

I attempted to download these with both lynx and links2, and was told both
times 'please enable javascript', also that the download site was busy
because Premium (paying) users were downloading. I doubt that wget can be
made to download from sites requiring javascript.

And I tried with Phoenix, and couldn't find how to download anything.

There is a link at the bottom of one page - Premium or Free - which took me to the page that said I needed javascript.

I will try with Opera some time, but I don't have it set up to work
with mplayer. Is this streaming ogg? If not, do you know how to post
streaming ogg at 32KB/sec or so? Or would this not be good enough
quality to learn anything?

Sindi, do you want some .oggs to play with ? I can put some onto one of my domains - I have quite a variety of stuff ripped from some of my CDs - Nora Jones, Chet Atkins, Jazz, Celtic, Manhattan Transfer, Didjeridoo, etc..

Thanks, but I found a couple of radio stations that broadcast ogg in streaming format. I just wondered if regular oggs could be downloaded as streaming oggs instead of a 30 min download before listening. Maybe Samuel could post short excerpts for narrow-band users.

I ran across 'grip' to create OGG files, also ffmpegtotheora (theora is
ogg) and ripit and 'Ogg Vorbis Encoder 1.0b4 for Linux' and Cakewalk and
crip. What program did you use and does it work with BL?

I don't think there is an Ogg compressor that will run in BL, it need the
full Ogg Vorbis library for a start.

Perhaps SW81 has the libraries.

I will learn to make midis first. These oggs were posted to demonstrate what OPL2 OPL3 and XG midi formats can sound like.

We now have a midi extension cable so there is no longer any need to block the front door with an additional computer for the piano. It was sold originally as a joystick extension cable. Two keyboard extension cables (DIN) might also have worked.

Does BL work in a Win98 DOS box? We have been asked to upgrade two people to Win98SE and I might add linux in the process.

I ask because someone told me PC-File 5 is buggy under Windows, but it works in plain DOS. And a DOS CAD program works under XP but is buggy in real DOS.

Regards,
Ron