baslinux - Re: [BL] FM synthesis (for sindi and any others interested)

  • From: Christian Brandt <brandtc AT psi5.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FM synthesis (for sindi and any others interested)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:02:42 +0100

Samual Acorn schrieb:
as promised; some recordings of FM synth the way it was -supposed- to
be done... in these tunes each voice of the OPL chips are controlled
directly... stereo/echo/reverb/polyphony and even the instrument
parameters themselves are all done manually... nothing is preset...

I can't actually help you but I can come up with a good explanaition.

OPL-Output through Midi isn't a define standard. It is mostly the driver which decides how OPL-Midi sounds, just like a good soundbank makes a softsyntheziser sound good.

Windows has top-of-the-notch OPL-drivers. The Linux-OPL-drivers pretty much suck big time. And even that is a simplification of the real problems:

The Kernel only offers an interface towards the raw ports of the OPL-chip but still knows nothing about "instruments"-level. So it is all up to playmidi and playmidi sucks at OPL-instruments. But there are no alternatives. Most/All other Midi-Player simply copy&pasted the OPL-routines (kaffeine, that gnome-player, mplayer etcpp) with the same mediocre results.

I have never been able to make OPL sound good under Linux. So I went with soundbanks which I played through timidity or loaded them into my soundblaster-soundbanks or just used plaing GM-boards.

If you happen to find a good OPL-player for Linux let me know, I am always into strange audio-systems though I mostly use them through a tracker-like-interface and not a MIDI-like.

Christian Brandt