baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer 1.0pre7try2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer 1.0pre7try2
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 04:24:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Folks,

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, David Moberg wrote:

There is a new mplayer binary available at my geocities site.

http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/mplayer-new.tgz

After re-naming my existing (working) mplayer, I installed the new one.

I did that too.

It works OK under X, for avi, mpg, wmv.
It works for me with .wav and DVD files.

It also works, which is new, from the console, but only when run as root -
sound and vision. :)
It did not run from the console when run as user until I changed the mplayer
binary to set ID on execution, and even then the sound didn't work. And
still doesn't, at least not for videos. :(
I get the error message: cannot open /dev/dsp permission denied (or words to
that effect). Yet it will play mp3s just fine from the commandline as user.

I never tried playing sound as user before but when I checked I had the same problem, with both 'play' (sox) and mplayer.
play *.wav: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
ls -l /dev/dsp shows that user has read and execute permission.

mplayer -ao oss *.wav: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Permission denied.

mplayer is also r-x for user.

(If I don't specify -ao oss on the command line: Unable to open audio. No available audio device. oss must not be on a list of available devices, unlike svga for video).

Can you get mplayer to play oss sound by putting that in /root/.mplayer/config (as ao=oss)?

drvmidi (for awe32 midi playing) as user 'cannot open sequencer device'.
It works fine for root. So yes, this is a systemic problem with sound.

I did not see anything obvious in /root that would affect sound except .aumixrc, and copying that to /home/user did not help.

Why do you want to be user instead of root?

As it happens, I also cannot get the RealPlayer to make sound in X when run as user, either, which may indicate a system permission fault. Any idea where that might be ?

I can't even get it to install without a segfault except on one computer.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke