baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer 1.0pre7try2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer 1.0pre7try2
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:17:00 +1100

Hi Folks,

> >> http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/mplayer-new.tgz

After re-naming my existing (working) mplayer, I installed the new one.

It works OK under X, for avi, mpg, wmv.

It also works, which is new, from the console, but only when run as root -
sound and vision. :)
It did not run from the console when run as user until I changed the mplayer
binary to set ID on execution, and even then the sound didn't work. And
still doesn't, at least not for videos. :(
I get the error message: cannot open /dev/dsp permission denied (or words to
that effect). Yet it will play mp3s just fine from the commandline as user.

As it happens, I also cannot get the RealPlayer to make sound in X when
run as user, either, which may indicate a system permission fault. Any idea
where that might be ?

Regards,
Ron

--