baslinux - Re: [BL] busybox cat bug was BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] busybox cat bug was BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:19:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

How did you manage to compile busybox with BL?

I compiled BL3 busybox (and Xvesa) with uClibc.

David suggested I might need newer kernel headers than 2.2.16.

I needed to use a 2.4 kernel to boot the uClibc system
(it misbehaved with on a 2.2.16 kernel).

With this info, I copied the source code .tar.gz file to the computer with /uclibc, which I had booted with David's 2.4.31 (large) kernel, and unpackaged it after chrooting to /uclibc. I don't have any kernel headers for 2.4.31, just 2.2.16.

It compiled perfectly with make allbareconfig and make. No complaints about ar, or sed. The uclibc that I recently downloaded has a non-busybox sed in /bin and a 343K ar in /usr/bin, in addition to a /bin/busybox which is 361k and version 1.00 in /bin. Maybe they don't trust 1.01 or 1.10?

I now have in the source code directory a new busybox 1.10, which includes hdparm (unlike the one that came with uclibc) and is twice the size of the 1.01.

I can run programs from within the directory where it got compiled:
./busybox cp /etc/fstab /tmp

cp works. uname works ('Linux').

ldd busybox - needs libc libm libcrypt and ld-uClibc all .so.0.

I presume a static version would be somewhat larger. libc is 280K and
uclibc comes with libncurses, libpthread, libz, libutil, libgcc as well as the above.

Can I simply copy over (cp -a to get the symlinks) all of the /lib/lib*.so files so as to use this dynamically compiled version (or a smaller one) or will it mess up BL2? Most of these end in .so.0 but there is a libncurses.so.5.2 which needs libc and libgcc, for instance, and I would lose my links to the libncurses that I already have. Will other programs work with the uclibc ncurses?

If I did copy over the libraries listed by ldd, how would I install busybox to the non-uclibc part of BL2.1? I suspect make install installs it to uclibc.

There is a busybox.links, which lists most programs as going in /bin but some in /sbin (fsck.ext2 and .ext3 and .minix).

Do I need addgroup, adjtimex, arping, bbconfig, ipcrm, mkfs.ext3, mkfs.minix, mktemp, pivot_root, pipe_progress, readprofile, start-stop-daemon, sha1sum, runlevel....?

Are all the programs in Stephen's busybox 1.01 libc likely to be useful?
fsck.minix? Should I compile without ar, or just remove any link to it?

So far uclibc has worked correctly only for pilot-link and busybox. It seems designed to compile busybox with.