baslinux - Re: [BL] busybox cat bug was BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] busybox cat bug was BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 03:29:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

With this info, I copied the source code .tar.gz file to the computer with
/uclibc, which I had booted with David's 2.4.31 (large) kernel, and
unpackaged it after chrooting to /uclibc. I don't have any kernel headers
for 2.4.31, just 2.2.16.

uclibc rootfs provides a minimal set of 2.4.x headers.

It will not work on 2.2 until you build it statically.

Does static compiling incorporate something from the 2.4 headers which it needs? And the dynamic version will work with 2.4.31 and the static version with any kernel?

Can I use a dynamic version with 2.4.31 kernels, for instance in a camera-linux, if I also add the uclibc lib libm ld-linux and libcrypts, and enlarge upon your 1-floppy USB linux by copying it to ext2, adding busybox and the uclibc libraries, and whatever else I want to use with it that is static, or dependent on uclibc, or on whatever libc you used for the floppy disk and if your 1-floppy system was all statically compiled, I would also need to add libc libm ld-linux for netpbm libc5 version. If I wanted to use modules I would need a different kernel, or a loadlin setup with the right initrd.

I will try a 10MB ext2 to start with. We decided not to start with BL3 because we don't need X.

I presume a static version would be somewhat larger. libc is 280K and
uclibc comes with libncurses, libpthread, libz, libutil, libgcc as well as
the above.

To build statically, use make config or make menuconfig and select
the static build option. You will also want to remove unused applets.

How do I know what is an unused applet? Can I just start with the .config I have from make allbareconfig but answer the menu questions to make it static and eliminate programs I don't have a use for? Would you suggest adding anything to Steven's programs besides maybe hdparm, ftpget and su (for general use, not for the camera linux)?

Will other programs work with the uclibc ncurses?

I don't think that glibc programs will.

Did you use the uclibc ncurses for compiling lynx?

If I did copy over the libraries listed by ldd, how would I install
busybox to the non-uclibc part of BL2.1? I suspect make install installs
it to uclibc.

You can just copy the busybox binary over. make install puts busybox
in /bin and makes symlinks.

Which /bin does it put it into, the one in /uclibc, if I am chrooted to uclibc? Would I exit back to regular linux and then run make install?

There is an option in make config which, when enabled, allows you
to use 'busybox --install -s' to install symlinks. Steven disabled it,
possibly because it is not needed in BL3.

Can I make and then install in a separate operation?

pipe_progress,

I like this - it lets you watch the progress of a long gzip
or dd operation, if you use pipes. Tossup.

Pipes meaning | ?

Are there any programs you suggest adding to Steven's list?
I don't even know what to do with half of them.

Are all the programs in Stephen's busybox 1.01 libc likely to be useful?

No, I think he just answered Y to everything.

His 1.01 had a few less programs than my 1.10 'makebareconfig'.

Should I compile without ar, or just remove any link to it?

I leave out ar and use the real thing. busybox ar cannot
create archives.

So answer no to ar in the menu, but yes to sed. I think we also wanted a larger 'tail' and 'less' - do you recall anything else where the busybox version was inadequate?

So far uclibc has worked correctly only for pilot-link and busybox. It
seems designed to compile busybox with.

Actually, busybox might be the most popular package to be
compiled with uclibc. So the busybox developers optimize it
heavily for compiling it with uclibc.

There are links at the busybox site to uclibc

Steven, since you have posted the Linux kernel config for BL3,
can you also post your config for busybox?

I was about to request it myself.

David

When I did a make allbareconfig with uclibc, it automatically answered all the questions with defaults. When I used glibc, I had to keep hitting the enter key. I would like to report this as a 'bug' but they never actually sent my email confirmation.