baslinux - [BL] scsi

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] scsi
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:26:05 +0000 (UTC)

Using David's custom scsi/usb 2.4.31 kernel (with driver for my Adaptec card built in) I was able to copy BL2 to an external scsi drive and boot to it with loadlin. Changed mtab to /dev/sda1.

Now I want to change the DOS hda drive to a DOS/linux 2GBscsi drive to which I can boot (and remove the IDE controller card that we used to replace bad onboard IDE card).

I ran low-level scsi format with Adaptec utility. Linux fdisk formatted the drive (3 FAT16, 1 ext2). Linux mke2fs on sda4. DOS fdisk can't find the drive. Nor can hwinfo or nssi. Syschk crashes if I load aspi8dos.sys.

DOS works with scsi zip and CD_ROM drives with their specific drivers and aspi8dos.sys for the Adaptec controller card. Research suggests that you don't need a special hard disk driver.

How do I get this drive to be recognized?

We have 5 1-9GB scsi drives and three computers with scsi cards. Mke2fs was nearly instant on the scsi partition (1GB). The computers can all boot from scsi. I set this drive with a jumper to id 0 but it is recognized as ID 1, so I set the scsi utility to boot from ID 1. But I can't format the DOS boot partition.

Any ideas?