baslinux - Re: [BL] slow kde?

  • From: Samual Acorn <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] slow kde?
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:56:12 -0600

since you are using a p4 i assume you are using a video card that is
equally as new;

mistake #1... you are using Xvesa... VESA bios calls are incredibly
slow on newer vidcards due to the R/D department spending more time
optimising their windoze drivers rather than their BIOS... since most
ppl arent going to be using 'legacy' programs that require the vesa
bios... so in comparason xvesa will feel slower than the 'doze....
install an xserver designed for your card...

note: even on older cards the bios isnt always optimised...

http://www.syschk.com/ runs in dos and should give you quite a bit of
info about your hardware.... includes a basic video speed test...
compare your new card with older (~1996) cards... you might be
surprised at the speed difference...

NOTE: dont run syschk in winNT (2k/xp/2k3/vista/g-wiz...)

limited to 60hz? perhaps not quite... tweaked modes using 61 62 and
/sometimes/ 65 are possible... tho ,if they work, they stress the
monitor more... (holy screaming deflection yokes batman!)

this should work but dont hold your breath;

Modeline "1024x768@60Hz" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 768 771 777 806
-vsync -hsync