baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound (was Re: DSL question)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound (was Re: DSL question)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:05:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

On 30 Dec 2005 at 20:12, sindi keesan wrote:
less /proc/interrupts lists what is in use. You have a lot of
modules loaded in rc and maybe irq10 is already taken by rtl8139.

I don't think so - see below.

Why not use irq=5?

An error message, something about conflict? I chose IRQ 10 because Windows
said the sound card had that interrupt. Though maybe that doesn't mean
much. Perhaps the BIOS settings?

less /proc/dma - try changing dma from 1 to 0 or 2 if 1 is taken

1 is fine, see below,

Perhaps the .wav included is 8-bit not 16-bit, and the Windows one
is 16-bit, and you need a dma16=5 to get it to play?
(I don't really understand these things, just guessing).

Good guess!!!

Someone in this group may have explained this to me previously.

I can play most of those C:\windows\media .wav files now.

Maybe some day I can play actual music. MP3s?

mpg123 from Slackware. See previous list discussions if it does not work out of the box, in case you need another /dev

Or Mplayer. See lots of discussions about playing streaming audio (realplayer and windows media and ogg formats) standalone or from links.

CD audio?
workbone, with a symlink in /dev
ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom (assuming CD drive is hdc)
Turn on numlock, put in CD, type workbone, use number pad to play, stop, pause...

For midi get drvmidi.
(I posted something at my site for BL3, converted from rpm).

Have you tried again with DSL, manually insmodding sb?

Thanks again

Sheldon

-----------

(revised /etc/rc line:
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=10 dma=1 dma16=5
)

=============
CPU0
0: 89381 XT-PIC timer
1: 2076 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
9: 0 XT-PIC eth0
10: 80 XT-PIC soundblaster
13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
14: 13630 XT-PIC ide0
15: 12 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0

(What are those numbers in the second column? and whatis XT-PIC?)

1: SoundBlaster8
4: cascade
5: SoundBlaster16