baslinux - Re: [BL] printing as root with lpr

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing as root with lpr
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:32:38 +0000 (UTC)

I found a way to use X as root and print in BL2 (which is set up already with 'user') by reading about su in my SuSE linux book.

Download the uclibc busybox-1.01.gz, which contains su, gunzip it, chmod +x, copy to /busybox101, rename the file busybox, ln -s expr and tail to busybox in that directory, and run Steven's 1.sh script in that directory.

You will have 'su' (but also broken rm, cp, etc.)

In /etc/profile, add to the end of the path /busybox101.

Then only programs not found in the original busybox or elsewhere on the computer will be run from the 1.01 version, including su.

As root, load X. Dial if you want (can't do that as user).
In an rxvt or xterm, type su user.

Then as su user (you will see the $ prompt) run any programs you want to print from. I can load opera (redo your preferences if you set them up as root - maybe a file can be copied) and xv and xpdf.

ps shows that xpdf is being run as user

xpdf puts me into /root not /user (in the file selector - type o)

It is printing garbage because I have printcap set up for deskjet and I am printing to an epson-compatible dot-matrix. xpdf lets me choose lpr to print with.

H ow does one select printers with lpr? I tried lpr -P epson, and I have an epson filter in printcap. Am I supposed to remark out the generic printer to use the gs lines?

If you just want to use lpr from the command-line:

su user
lpr filename - it printed a text file for me.

Since bl3 is not designed to be run as user, I guess there is no need for su in it.