baslinux - Re: [BL] printing as root with lpr

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing as root with lpr
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:30:14 -0800

On 12/16/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I cannot print as root with lpr:
> ls -l lpr
> -r-s--s--x
>
> Does this mean I can print as superuser?

This should mean that anyone can run this as root.

Who owns lpr? What group owns lpr? (i.e. send the rest
of ls -l)

Please remind us of what error message you get when
you try to execute lpr.

> Is there any reason not to chmod +x lpr so I can print as root with lpr
> (from xpdf, xv, Opera...).

It is already chmodded +x. Try chmodding +x. Then do ls -l. It should
be exactly the same as before.

> I know I am supposed to go online as user but kermit does not have the
> permissions to dial (/var/lock is -rw-r--r--).

chmod a+w /var/lock

Gives everyone write permission to /var/lock.

David