baslinux - Re: [BL] printing as root with lpr

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing as root with lpr
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:44:22 +0000 (UTC)

Since I can't print as root, I am still trying to make some form of X work as /user.

I made a /user and copied .profile to it from /root and made it executable by user but I still can't use the aliases in it. Why?

I did chmod +s to xfbdev and Xvesa (they are supposed to be run suid root - is there something else I should have done instead? The latest busyboxes have su but BL2 did not).

xfbdev still won't work

Error opening /dev/fb0
: No such device

crw-r--r-- root root fb0
Do I need to change the ownership or permissions?

Xvesa now works, but rxvt can't open pseudo-tty.

Web research reveals that pseudo-ttys are used to connect to the net and come in two pieces:
slave half ttyp* used by user programs
control half ptyp* used by daemons to talk to the net.

To open a device by user does it need to be writeable or readable or executable by user?

I discovered that BL2 ramdisk, BL2 ext2 (which I am trying to use as user so I can print) and BL3 have different permissions and ownerships for these. Why? Are they supposed to be executable?

BL2 ext2:
(Is this correct? I may have changed things trying to get user working)
crw------- root root ttyp0
crw------- root root ttyp1
crw-rw-rw- root root ttyp2 crw-rw-rw- root root ttyp3
crwx-wx-wx root root ttyp4, 5, 6, 7
crwxr-xr-x root root ttyp8-f

BL2 ramdisk: (which I could not have messed up)
crw------- root tty ttyp0
crwx------ root tty ttyp1 (why are these two crwx?)
crwx------ root tty ttyp2
crw------- root tty ttyp3
crw-r--r-- root tty ttyp4-f

BL3 ext2: (I may have messed this up - is it correct?
crw------ root root ttyp0 (why root?)
crw-r--r-- root tty ttyp1 to 9
BL2 ext2: (is the 'x' correct? or did I add it?)
crwxr-xr-x root tty ptyp*

BL2 ramdisk:
crw-r--r-- root tty ptyp*

BL3 ext2:
crw-r--r-- root tty ptyp*

I was changing file permissions at one point trying to telnet from BL3 to BL2 as root and user.

Anyway, how do I change the pseudo-tty device permissions so rxvt works for 'user'?

I would rather get lpr working as root. It is a blasted nuisance trying to get user to work. Too many other permissions need changing.