baslinux - [BL] logging system error messages

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] logging system error messages
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:05:11 +0000 (UTC)

Does BL2 keep a log of error messages produced just before a crash?
Or do I need to start some program to keep the log?

After I upgraded one computer from 350 to 500MHz (AMD K6-2) and also switched to a kernel that I compiled with added scsi (general and sd) and framebuffer (vesafb) support, I have had three sudden crashes, including two freezes, and just now when I switched vts:
unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address:.....
oops:0000
....killing interrupt handler

The keyboard also acted screwy a few times - either stopped responding at all, or keys started typing double (some not at all). Interrupt problem?

I was online now and at least one time when the keyboard acted up.

/proc/interrupts - keyboard 1, serial 3

Web research implies this is some sort of kernel bug, possibly related to scsi. I would like to record the whole message from last time or at least next time.

If I run syslogd it will put something into /var/log/messages (currently empty) - is this the answer?

If it is a scsi problem in 2.2.16, I will switch to a 2.4.31 kernel which David has offered to compile with the same config, for the scsi computers.