baslinux - Re: [BL] logging system error messages

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] logging system error messages
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:55:15 -0800

On 12/19/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> Does BL2 keep a log of error messages produced just before a crash?
> Or do I need to start some program to keep the log?

I think you need to start syslogd and klogd to record kernel
messages. This probably will not survive a crash, so you
will need to write down 'oops' messages.

> After I upgraded one computer from 350 to 500MHz (AMD K6-2) and also
> switched to a kernel that I compiled with added scsi (general and sd) and
> framebuffer (vesafb) support, I have had three sudden crashes, including
> two freezes, and just now when I switched vts:
> unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address:.....
> oops:0000
> ....killing interrupt handler
>
> The keyboard also acted screwy a few times - either stopped responding at
> all, or keys started typing double (some not at all). Interrupt problem?

Unlikely. A NULL pointer dereference is somewhat like a segfault,
only it happens in kernel. Basically, the kernel is trying to access
a portion of memory which does not exist (NULL). Since this
happened with more than one compiler version, this is probably
a bug in the source code. 2.4 is likely to have fixed this.

David