baslinux - Re: [BL] postscript network printers

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] postscript network printers
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:13:46 -0800

On 12/1/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I could download a 32MB network management program to send files to the
> printer over a network, but I think I can also ftp them over a crossover
> cable

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that printers had
their own network printing protocols. I could be wrong, though.

> if I can assign an IP number to the printer - how can I do that with
> BL?

No idea. Does it have some default if you connect it to a network?
You may need to run a dhcp server.

> Presumably I could also set up a plip connection

I highly doubt it. Don't you usually use something besides plip
when you are not using Linux? Also, the parallel port is probably
for printing only (i.e. cat file >/dev/lp0)

> - does ftp work via plip?

Yes.

> The thing has a 133MHz cpu and 4 SIMM slots and a scsi
> controller.

Can you use a 486 to control it? Sounds like the tail is wagging
the dog.

> The printers can do postscript 2 and pcl 5 (HP?). Can I simply cat
> filename.ps > /dev/lp0?

Maybe. You may need to use pstops or ps2ps (not sure which one)
first to convert it into a simpler dialect of postscript. Do ps files need
unix2dos?

> (or pbmtolj for monochrome files).

Does it support the laserjet protocol in addition to ps and pcl??

> I don't think I need ghostscript, which is for printing ps or pdf on a
> non-ps printer.

It is still handy for other things (notably, pdf to ps (pswrite)).

> How would I write a printcap for a ps printer on lp0?

Just as for any other printer, as long as your filter script outputs
ps. You may not even need a filter script. Try printing without one.

> If I use the ethernet connection do I replace /dev/lp0 with /dev/eth0

No.

> (and for serial with ttyS0)

Yes.

> and ifconfig eth0 and what else needs changing?

You will need to figure out how the printer works. How does it get an
IP address? dhcp? hardwired? some other method?
How do you send files to it over the network for printing? ftp?
cups? ipp? windows printing protocol? lpr?

David