baslinux - Re: [BL] custom kernel (was: USB and the digital camera)

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] custom kernel (was: USB and the digital camera)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:06:33 -0800

On 11/17/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

> >> Which module is this?
> >
> > binfmt_aout
> What is this used for?

You need it to run very old Linux binaries. You probably
will never need it, as most of these old binaries have
been recompiled with the new binary format.

> I am actually content with the 2.2.16 kernel I compiled except for the
> lack of framebuffer support. It is only about 470K. Would framebuffer
> and usb and the later kernel source add a whole lot?

I will try to find out how much it will add.

> >> Please compile in CD-ROM support (not as modules) as in BL2.
> >
> > An even bigger kernel. Perhaps it would be helpful to take a
> > SW10.2 kernel and decide what you need from that?
>
> A custom kernel would probably be half the size and do more than the
> bare.i of SW10.2 (or does it include usb-storage and scsi already?).

bare.i has scsi set to Y. And I believe that a custom kernel will be
more than half the size (probably 3/4 the size at best).

> As I said, the 2.2.16 I compiled works fine except for lacking framebuffer
> support, which I should learn to compile for,

You already know how. Just answer 'Y' or 'N' to the framebuffer questions.

> > SW10.2 is 2.4.31. But those modules probably won't work
> > with this kernel.
>
> Because you compiled it not to accept any modules?

No, because SW10.2 probably has some things like APM set to Y,
which makes some modules incompatible with the custom kernel (if
it has a different configuration)

> If you compiled a custom SW10.2 kernel then people could download the
> modules (probably as a single huge file ;=().

I can email as many modules as you need. And I can host the most common
ones.

David