baslinux - Re: [BL] custom kernel (was: USB and the digital camera)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] custom kernel (was: USB and the digital camera)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 03:57:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 11/16/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

- a.out support as module
Which module is this?

binfmt_aout
What is this used for?

- modular floppy, parallel & serial port
- booting from initrd or ide hard drive (but not scsi, usb,
parallel zip, pcmcia, or loop)

Some people might still want to boot from loop via a DOS partition.
(Another list member reports that the 2.2.26 kernel now boots from a loop
on his PII computer, which he could not do with 2.2.16).

You also mentioned SCSI. All of this will take space. Maybe you want
the SW10.2 kernel?

I am actually content with the 2.2.16 kernel I compiled except for the lack of framebuffer support. It is only about 470K. Would framebuffer and usb and the later kernel source add a whole lot?

- no framebuffer/vga=ask support

I use both of these. The kernel I compiled lacks framebuffer and I had no
luck adding it. BL3 lacks vga=ask, but I like to use that in order to get
more columns and rows. I set it up with resizecons and restoretextmode to
show 80 (100) and 132 columns, with 24-60 rows (depends on the card)
Framebuffer is another way to get more columns, which I need to use links
conveniently in console mode.

If you use resizecons, isn't vga=ask redundant?

I boot with loadlin and vga=ask in order to set up resizecons.
Boot with vga=ask, choose a mode, run restoretextmode -w to write a file 80x30, then next time resizecons 80x30 gives you 30 lines.

- proc, ext2 filesystem support
- modular ntfs, vfat, isofs, etc.

I can mount a DOS floppy disk or drive in BL2 without -t msdos. Please
compile the kernel so this will still work (unlike in BL3).

I think it does work in BL3.
I thought I had to specify it. Can't check right now, no BL3 on this computer.

Please compile in CD-ROM support (not as modules) as in BL2.

An even bigger kernel. Perhaps it would be helpful to take a
SW10.2 kernel and decide what you need from that?

A custom kernel would probably be half the size and do more than the bare.i of SW10.2 (or does it include usb-storage and scsi already?).

As I said, the 2.2.16 I compiled works fine except for lacking framebuffer support, which I should learn to compile for, and support for USB-storage, found in your new kernel, which should work better once I upgrade svgalib to SW91 (are you sure I won't need SW10.2 svgalib?).

Note that you will need to upgrade pppd and insmod
when moving to 2.4.

Is SW91 2.4.31?

No,

If not, where do we find the modules?

SW10.2 is 2.4.31. But those modules probably won't work
with this kernel.

Because you compiled it not to accept any modules?
If you compiled a custom SW10.2 kernel then people could download the modules (probably as a single huge file ;=().

David