baslinux - Re: [BL] custom kernel (was: USB and the digital camera)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] custom kernel (was: USB and the digital camera)
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:41:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

I will set CPU type to 586.

Here are some assumptions (excuse terseness, please
correct any as necessary):

- No SMP (2 or more CPUs at the same time)
This prevented pppd from working (at least in 2.2.16). We can always
use the SW71 smp kernel to experiment with.
- PCI and ISA, but no EISA or MCA support
- No PCI database (adds 80K and is not useful)
- Support for PCMCIA (as module)
- SysVIPC (for DOSEMU)
- No sysctl or bsd proc. accounting
- a.out support as module
Which module is this?
- modular floppy, parallel & serial port
- booting from initrd or ide hard drive (but not scsi, usb,
parallel zip, pcmcia, or loop)

Some people might still want to boot from loop via a DOS partition. (Another list member reports that the 2.2.26 kernel now boots from a loop on his PII computer, which he could not do with 2.2.16).

- no RAID (use of multiple drives as one for speed
or reliability)
- modular ppp, plip, ethernet, no firewall
- no odd hardware like firewire, watchdog cards
- no unix98 ptys
- no framebuffer/vga=ask support

I use both of these. The kernel I compiled lacks framebuffer and I had no luck adding it. BL3 lacks vga=ask, but I like to use that in order to get more columns and rows. I set it up with resizecons and restoretextmode to show 80 (100) and 132 columns, with 24-60 rows (depends on the card)
Framebuffer is another way to get more columns, which I need to use links conveniently in console mode.

I would love to have an all-purpose kernel that supports both these features and also usb storage. I know it is getting larger, but anyone needing a smaller kernel can use the ones Steven provided (or your minimal USB-storage 2.4.31 kernel).

- proc, ext2 filesystem support
- modular ntfs, vfat, isofs, etc.

I can mount a DOS floppy disk or drive in BL2 without -t msdos. Please compile the kernel so this will still work (unlike in BL3).

Please compile in CD-ROM support (not as modules) as in BL2.

The zimage.sb I compiled did everything I wanted except for framebuffer and USB, and probably a few things I did not need but did not understand.

Provide modular support for parport zip drive, please (ppa and imm).

- modular sound, usb

I got sound working for sb.o - it took a while to figure it out.

This should probably move off-list, as USB hardware
is not very relevant to BL.

Steven seems willing to try to support it - maybe he won't mind if it stays on-list? I am using no other linux besides BL, and will need an alternate kernel to continue doing so. Your USB-storage kernel arrived just in time to obviate my installing SW91.

Note that you will need to upgrade pppd and insmod
when moving to 2.4.

Is SW91 2.4.31? If not, where do we find the modules?

David