baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and XP

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and XP
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 16:55:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

This is a five year old computer. Are there any plans
to keep BL updated to support anything that new

No. Every new feature (like USB) makes it bigger.
BasicLinux is meant to be basic, not fully-featured.
I am happy for things like USB to be optional modules
or add-ons.

Since we have not been able to get USB working with BL2 (yet - maybe busybox insmod is the problem), we attempted to put SW91 onto our friend's 120GB hard drive which only let us format 48GB, but cfdisk says there are no free sectors. Apparently we could partition the entire 120GB but not format it on this computer, without a BIOS upgrade.

Is there some linux tool that we can use to shrink the first partition that has Win98 on it, similar to PQMagic (which won't work on this size hard drive)? If necessary we can start over and reinstall Win98 but I hate working with it. We can't use any DOS tools except from within Windows - would DOS partition resizer work on this size drive?

Maybe we should let our friend first put XP on here in 40GB, which he is thinking of doing (I can't imagine why) and then put on linux.

I am thinking of putting SW91 (for reference in cases like this) on my newest computer with the 10GB drive. Make three linux partitions - one for BL2, one for SW91, one shared partition with image and sound and other stored files, accessible from either OS. 200MB BL3, 2GB BL2, 3GB SW91, 5GB storage? I can make a swap file later if needed, in the 5GB.

I will also put the working IDE CD-RW drive in here because I need 700MB free space to copy CDs through. The scsi drive in my other computer will write 80% of any CD, no matter what the size. Our Windows friend said he has one that does the same thing, so it is not something stupid I am doing (as was the case where I set the HD to go off after 10 min of no use and readcd did not count as use). His CD-RW is external and mine was originally packaged that way but I plugged it into a bay. Do external drives need to be treated differently in order to write the whole CD, or is this something reparable? I could not find it on the web.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to partition?

Luckily linux can be recopied instead of reinstalled, after repartitioning and reformatting.

All of the links that I followed to DOS USB boot disk are broken but supposedly Windows 98 hidusb.sys and usbuhci.sys will run a mouse and keyboard in DOS, which should let us use loadlin with SW91 and eventually BL2 with SW81 kernel/modules on a USB-only computer.