baslinux - Re: [BL] Wordstar under dosemu

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wordstar under dosemu
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:23:04 +0000 (UTC)

The freedos edit program works except line wrap does not progress to
the next line, it goes back to the beginning of the same line.

I tried dosemu -V and it does not fix this problem with 'edit'. When I turn on wordwrap, it starts again at the beginning of the same line and pushes existing text to the right of it.

DR-DOS edit, breeze, and pcword are not usable because the background is
tiled with box character and a lot of other characters come out
incorrectly as upper ascii. I am using a Tseng card with Xvesa, which
might be part of the problem.

Breeze works for me under plain dosemu. Have you tried invoking dosemu with the
" -V " switch ?
This turns on VGA graphics and fixes the high ASCII characters on my machine.

It fixed the problem with drdos edit, thanks. I will look more closely at breeze, pcword, and pedit. It also lets me use pictview and lxpic under dosemu rather than xdosemu! Wp51 is working properly as far as seeing what you type on this computer in VGA mode now - don't know if it is related to the -V switch. (The Ctrl-F key and Alt-F key problems remain).

Is there any disadvantage in starting dosemu this way all the time?

There is a standalone DOS spell checker Turbo Lightning which I have not
yet tried.

It works in DOS with my partner's spell checker, but not under dosemu, and does not work at all with VDE in DOS or dosemu.

There is a linux spellchecker ispell that I can try instead.

Has anyone else tried a DOS text editor other than the one that comes with
freedos under plain dosemu?

I have found PEDIT is good in plain dosemu, and it has a built-in spell
checker with a user-generated dictionary as well.

I downloaded it and discovered I had a Windows version - will try again.
Does it wordwrap but save files that another wordprocessor can import without hard line returns?

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke