baslinux - Re: [BL] dosemu? wp51?

  • From: Jonathan Stuart Lovelace <kingjon AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dosemu? wp51?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:40:59 -0400 (EDT)

> David Moberg wrote:
>>
>> Back on the 14th of September, 2004, you wrote:
>> "I ran across ONE console-based linux wordprocessor, free, but it produced
>> proprietary format that no other program could import."

>> Can you remember what the name of it was? I would like to take a look at
>> it.

> LaTeX ?

LaTeX isn't really a *proprietary* format, IIRC, because it's a FREE format
based on a proprietary format. It comes with the programs to turn it into
printer-specific files. (Though I wouldn't call it a "wordprocessor"; as I
understand it's more of a typesetting description language like PostScript,
RTF, or troff. Converting it to something printable isn't hard; it's
*producing* it in the first place that's difficult until you learn the
language, which I haven't. If one has some background in RTF, one should stick
with that rather than trying to learn an entirely new language like LaTeX.)

kingjon AT cyberspace.org
|"No man in the world has more courage |
| than the man who can stop after |
| eating one peanut." |
| -- Channing Pollock |
|"Math is worse than peanuts." |