baslinux - Re: [BL] Use emacs form the hd

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Santi Garcia <santig AT gmail.com>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Use emacs form the hd
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:46:45 +0000 (UTC)

How large is your hard drive and how much space is Win95 using? You will need to make the Win95 partition smaller (using PQMagic or the free program Partition Resizer). First remove any Win95 programs that you do not need, then defragment the disk, then resize it. Win95 will probably fit into about 50MB and then you also need space for programs.

If you have 120MB hard drive, you can give Win95 70MB, for example, then make a second partition of 50MB for linux, ext2 type, using BL3 fdisk from the 2-floppy set.

Or you can start again and use linux fdisk to make a Fat16 partition for Win95 that is the right size, and then make the rest of the disk into a linux ext2 partition (type 83). mke2fs /dev/hda2 will format the linux partition. You can also make a 32MB swap partition if your hard drive is large enough, and then mkswap /dev/hda3. Then run the program to install linux from the floppy disks to the new partition.

Is a disketer a floppy drive? Does your laptop computer have a CD-ROM drive? If not, you need some way to transfer more files to it from another computer, such as a parallel or serial file transfer cable, or if you have a PCMCIA slot, you can add an ethernet card, or you can download the additional packages via modem from the internet.

Can you understand this, or should one of our Spanish speakers explain it?