baslinux - Re: [BL] Use emacs form the hd

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Santi Garcia <santig AT gmail.com>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Use emacs form the hd
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:16:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Santi Garcia wrote:

hello:

I have a pc very limited, and this distribucion is very good for my
goes me very well, but I would like use emacs but my memory ram is
very small to be able to install it with pkg I want to be able to
install it in the hd but itself not like to do it if someone can help
me.

Please explain (in both English and Spanish, because some of our list members know Spanish) what you tried to do and what happened.

There are two ways to use BL3 from the hard drive - you can download the first version of it that runs in a 'loop' from a DOS partition, and this version can also be installed to an 'ext2' linux partition with the install-to-hd script. This version boots with loadlin (a DOS command).

There is a second version which runs from 2 floppy disks. It can also be installed to ext2 hard drive. It boots with lilo from floppy disks or from hard drive ext2 partition.

I have only used the first version, both loop and ext2. On three of our computers, the loop version will not boot. We get an error messages partway through boot. Is this your problem? If so, try to install to hard drive from the floppy disk version.

Would someone who has installed to hd from floppy disk BL3 explain exactly how to do this (maybe in Spanish)?

If you have only tried the 2-floppy-disk version, you can download the other version to a DOS partition and you will have 20MB of space to work in, which I think is enough for emacs.

Sorry for my english I am Spanish and I do not dominate the english sorry :(