baslinux - Re: [BL] Help: Problem with cursor

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help: Problem with cursor
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:06:55 +1200

Andrew Bañas wrote:

> I'm a newbie who installed BL3 on a dell latitude,
> pentium 166 laptop.

Getting graphics to work on a laptop can be tricky.

> When running X or icewm however, the cursor seems
> to live discolored tracks.

What resolution are you using? The lowest (standard VGA)
is the most likely to work.

Xvesa is not perfect. It misbehaves on some hardware.
Xvesa drives the pointing device too, so if you are
getting problems there, the fault lies in Xvesa.

> I haven't figured out yet how to configure it with
> a laptop's trackball

My laptop's built-in pointing device works as a PS/2.
Have you tried that?

> my system hangs when I exit X.

Xvesa is in BL3 because it is small, it works with many
different types of hardware, and it provides several
resolutions and color depths. However, Xvesa is far
from perfect. If it doesn't work properly for you,
you need to install a full-sized Xserver (one that is
appropriate for your hardware). Several Xservers are
available in Slackware. I suggest you start with XVGA16,
which works with most hardware (although it only displays
640x480 with 16 colors).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru