baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux hardware ID prog

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux hardware ID prog
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:29:11 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Mon, 16 May 2005 03:19:08 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:40:57 -0500 (CDT)
> > James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net> wrote:

> > But I get more info about my system with NSSI for DOS.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ron
> >

> I just downloaded nssi for dos and it installed itself.
>
> I ran it and was told my version was out of date!
>
> I was also given the following misinformation:
>
> 1. I have no keyboard (I have an 84-key keyboard).
> 2. I have no mouse (I have a PS/2 mouse with no driver loaded)
> 3. I have a joystick (I do not, did it detect the game port?)
> 4. I have no ISA cards (I have MGA and SB16 sound) but I have a game port
> (it is on the ISA sound card).
> 5. I have no scanner. (It is plugged in but turned on, SCSI).
>
> It found the external modem on Com2.
>
> It did not list PCI devices and/or SCSI devices.
>
> The other information is probably correct, regarding cpu, ram, bios, speed
> (3x66), board maker (Soyo), chip, and other stuff on the interior.

This is exactly the information you should pass on back to the author.
NSSI was developed by the author because there was not an acceptable tool
that would identify the hardware (and some software) components of a machine
brought in for repair without opening it up and taking everything apart - so
he wrote one. It is in continuous development. I had some hassles with it, I
wrote to him, and he added my "unidentified" bits to the program.

There are instructions for doing this in the package.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke