baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux hardware ID prog

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux hardware ID prog
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 00:26:02 +0000 (UTC)

I will test it out on a few more computers and write the author.

In the meantime, I have discovered that some other DOS diagnostic programs are not doing too well either.

Nvidia card that does 1600 res at 64K (according to linux).

whatvga2 crashes
compushow crashes (first time I ever saw it crash)
Works with Pictview and Display

Syschk screen is scrambled, and it tests the speed of the card at 16K, with my Tseng in a slower computer being 185K. (Admittedly, in DOS this card is a bit slower than the Tseng).

In linux the card is nearly instant. Works fine with svgalib (chipset Xvesa puts it to 1024, same as the Tseng) and xv (at 1400, which is the max for this monitor).

You should not believe anything ANY Dos diagnostic program tells you.
I will sic NSSI on this computer, which we just put together. Syschk said it was a Pentium Pro. Linux says it is a Pentium III.

We got the board (with six bad caps, DOA) in a case with missing drive cage, could not find another case, and finally switched it with the Asus 350MHz (my fastest computer to date), which plays .wav files with sox in mono but not stereo in linux (both Asus boards are like this) and is K6 and therefore would not play music with mplayer either.

Two hours later, after a few scraped fingers and a scare with the Nvidia card, I dared to test Mplayer. It plays .wav files (so does Play). Not only that, it plays them on an AWE64 card that I could not get to work in DOS. (Sox is also working on that card).

I can't get an ISP connection ;=( (Dialed a local bbs to get here via ssh). I will report later if it plays streaming audio and if not, whether the convertor at least works.

I should read the instructions for playing DVDs and get one from the
library now (unless someone wants to give me a quick lesson in how to play from beginning to end with default settings).

I hope the other 10 or so caps don't go bad.

In the process of hunting for a cage I acquired two external SCSI CD-ROM burners with missing power supplies and bent connectors - can we simply remove them from their cases and use them internally plugged into a scsi card? These might actually be simpler to set up than imitation scsi (ide-scsi) burners.

For DOS, I use NSSI for the same purpose. http://www.navsoft.cz/

But I get more info about my system with NSSI for DOS.

Regards,
Ron

I just downloaded nssi for dos and it installed itself.

I ran it and was told my version was out of date!

I was also given the following misinformation:

1. I have no keyboard (I have an 84-key keyboard).
2. I have no mouse (I have a PS/2 mouse with no driver loaded)
3. I have a joystick (I do not, did it detect the game port?)
4. I have no ISA cards (I have MGA and SB16 sound) but I have a game port
(it is on the ISA sound card).
5. I have no scanner. (It is plugged in but turned on, SCSI).

It found the external modem on Com2.

It did not list PCI devices and/or SCSI devices.

The other information is probably correct, regarding cpu, ram, bios, speed
(3x66), board maker (Soyo), chip, and other stuff on the interior.

This is exactly the information you should pass on back to the author.
NSSI was developed by the author because there was not an acceptable tool that would
identify the hardware (and some software) components of a machine brought in for repair
without opening it up and taking everything apart - so he wrote one. It is in
continuous development. I had some hassles with it, I wrote to him, and he added my
"unidentified" bits to the program.

There are instructions for doing this in the package.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke