baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't compile 486 kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't compile 486 kernel
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 04:39:17 +0000 (UTC)

I suppose I could try the BL1 kernel but it may not support parport zip drives.

I substituted the bare.i kernel from SW4.0 and of course it did not work because the modules were wrong, not only that, it completely messed up the floppy disk. Scandisk found hundreds of things wrong after e2fsck fixed things and I just deleted a bunch of .chk files but I also seem to have damaged a large area in the middle of the disk - how did this happen?

Since the floppy drive I am scandisking on is the worn-out one in the 486 laptop this may be an artifact. How does one format for DOS in linux?

I did a Ctrl-Alt-Del when the boot process crashed - would this have damaged the disk?

I just downloaded the blimmz.gz file and gunzipped and wrote to disk and replaced the pentium kernel with my 486 kernel again, on a known good floppy disk.