baslinux - Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 16:17:34 -0500

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: t.maiden AT att.net

> Running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM.
> Are either of these possible?  How would I install Basic
> Linux to do this?  On a Windows XP system.  Thanks.

It is possible to run BL from a CD-ROM. You have CD burning
software on Windows XP, I presume? There are two versions
of BL which may be installed onto a CD:

(BL2)

You can get the floppy disk image from either my website
(http://www.geocities.com/davidjmoberg) or from the BL
download site (http://basiclinux.com.ru/download/). Get
the bl2-iso.zip file. You must then tell your CD burning
software that the file is a bootable floppy disk image
to boot from.

(BL3)

There is a giant CD distribution which contains BL3, I
forget the name. If you're interested, I can send you
the URL. Alternately, there is the bl3iso.zip file which
I made. You may obtain it at my website (see above) or
Stephen Clement's FTP site (ftp://ftp.stevo32.no-ip.org/pub/).
You must tell the CD burning software that it is an ISO file.

If you really want to boot from a USB device, (which I don't
think has been done with BL before) you should probably read
some of the HOWTOs about booting off a USB drive, look at
the other distributions which are capable of this, and perhaps
build a special filesystem which can boot off a USB drive.
I may have a look at it if it's not too difficult.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com