baslinux - Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 17:29:58 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> The BL kernels don't support USB, but I got DOS to read files from a USB
> camera by adding two .sys files which treat it as a USB mass storage
> device (see a previous posting). Could one write a DOS boot disk
> containing the regular BL kernel and those two files in config.sys, which
> would load the files from the USB device into a large ramdisk? If you
> have 32MB, that would leave 12MB to run in and 20MB for files in a
> RAMdisk. You would need to modify the kernel to support 20MB RAMdisk.

I don't see why not. Any DOS gurus want to chime in? The ramdisk_size
kernel parameter allows you to adjust the size at boot time.

> Or you could run the 2-floppy version with the regular kernel.

I believe there is also some trickery involved with booting from USB
mass storage which will give you a ramdisk by default. It works a lot
like bootable CDs.

> David wrote me up a grub-based boot disk for doing something similar from
> a parport zip drive, which turned out to be rather slow to load (1 min to
> load a program, longer for X). This might work better with a large RAM
> disk.

It is actually possible to get a BIOS to handle the bootup from a USB key,
so no floppy is necessary. A USB 2.0 key can make the speed more tolerable.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com