baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:26:41 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Clement" <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>

> You seem to have greater luck building with more options so I'd
> recommend people use your build.

Progress! I have gotten the MPlayer configure script to detect the
existence of the X11 libraries. I will now need to get some
additional libraries (ogg, aalib, sdl) that people are requesting.
More as it develops.

> > I have 1.0pre5. I didn't notice this until you pointed it out.

> Might want to get the new version although I'm not sure what
> benefits you'll get besides bugfixes.

From the MPlayer site:

If you have a slow machine you should check out low resolution decoding with
libavcodec (-vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=0-3).

^ This is a big one for me. This will probably help a lot with speed on
my slower PC. This came with pre6.

> > I'll need to figure out why it says this is not optimal.

> Because I used --enable-runtime-cpudetection so that it would work
> on more CPU's.

I would expect it to work as well as the other method, at least on
some CPUs.

> >> Is a 486 a good enough low end since that is the target of BL3?
> >
> > Maybe. MPlayer isn't really intended for slow CPUs.
> >

> MPlayer is intended for quality not performance.

The developers don't ignore performace, though: There are many
optimizations, and the feature I mentioned earlier certainly
trades quality for performace.

> >> What are all of these used for?

> > AAlib/libcaca is for converting video into text. Have you seen so-
> > called ASCII art? It's mainly useful when you want to send video
> > to a terminal (which Steven (Clement) has said he wants to do).

> It's also quite useful on older computers.

I'll have to try watching a DVD in text mode. :)

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com