baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 02:58:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, David Moberg wrote:

The binary copy of mplayer (which I am hosting) has been
updated. Here is a list of changes:

- It is now mplayer.tgz, a Slackware package. Use pkg
to start the basic installation
- Based on uClibc. This did not affect the size
much, however glibc is no longer needed to get full
networking support
- caca color TTY output has been added
- libparanoia support. MPlayer can now replace
cdparanoia and cdda2wav.
- Live.COM for accessing RTSP protocol streams
- Ogg Theora support
- CPU autodetection. You can use it on a 386
- mencoder, man page, vidix drivers included
- OpenGL and ESD support has been dropped. (Who uses
these?)
- The download size has increased to right around 3MB.
The mplayer binary itself is roughly the same size.
- Others which I have not kept track of

bunzip2 or bzip2 is needed to install.

Too bad it will not also substitute for cdrecord (which won't work on one of my burners until kernel 2.6).

Does pkg automatically make use of bzip2 instead of gzip?

I am amazed you got this statically compiled into 3MB. I was told the SW9.1 package is about 25MB with two pages of additional dependencies.

Get it at:

http://geocities.com/davidjmoberg/mplayer.tgz

BL2 busybox wget will not download this for me - 'too many redirections'.
Why? Lynx got 250K or so and stopped. Links2 is already over 1MB.

David
--

Many thanks - Sindi