baslinux - Re: [BL] simple doc to png convertor

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] simple doc to png convertor
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:51:37 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> >> The doc file has a lot of <FF) and @^ and then <89>PNG. At the end
> >> it has more <FF> and @^ and then something about WORD.
> >>
> >> I could probably just use a text editor to manually chop off the
> >> beginning and end of this sort of doc file instead of wvware, but
> >> can someone suggest a script which would delete all characters
> >> before <89>PNG
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > export POSIXLY_CORRECT=""
> > expr index "`cat $1`" "`echo 3PNG | tr 3 '\211'`" >/tmp/1
> > expr `cat /tmp/1` - 1 >/tmp/1
> > expr `cat $1 | wc -c` - `cat /tmp/1` >/tmp/1
> > tail -c `cat /tmp/1` $1
> > rm -f /tmp/1
>
> I have non-busybox tail and busybox tr, wc, cat, and expr.

wc and expr are probably fouling things up. Please try the full
versions.

> How did <80>PNG become 3PNG?

It didn't.

echo 3PNG | tr 3 '\211'

tr changes 3 to '\211' which equals <89>

> I downloaded this email and copied the above to a program doctopng,
> chmod +x'ed it, and then typed doctopng doc1.doc > doctopng.png
>
> I get the error message:
> tail: doc1.doc: invalid number of bytes

wc is probably not giving correct output. With the POSIXLY_CORRECT
environment variable set to "", my wc gives the following output:

$ wc -c file
345

The number given should equal the filesize in bytes. There should
only be one number. Also, there should be no indentation.

> Are you using wc to count the number of bytes before PNG and then
> trying to remove that number of bytes from the start of the file
> with tail?

Yes.

> >> The png file ends with IEND<AE>B`<82>. The WORD file continues
> >> with many pages of @^ (to encourage you to get a larger hard
> >> drive?) and <FF> and then the names of the two people working at
> >> that office repeatedly, some comments on what is in the document
> >> that they probably added, and various mentions of Microsoft Word
> >> 9.0. So I could also just chop that off.
> >
> > Do you want a script that does that, too?
>
> One that does both would be ideal so that I will have just the PNG part.
> I had no idea it would be that complicated. With pico I just
> search on PNG and END and delete by blocking and Ctrl-K.

Get this one working first. Another one to trim the end off will be much
easier.

> >> <82> is presumably a hex character and perhaps a shell script would
> >> need to refer to it differently.
> >
> > Very differently for <89>. The method I used above is very ugly.
>
> Maybe there is a simpler way?

Not likely. A C program would be simpler for me.

> Yes, this file starts and ends exactly the same way as the one in the doc.
> <89>PNG and IEND....<82>

OK. I will work on a variant to trim the end off.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com