baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:35:07 -0400

On 16 Apr 2005 at 23:45, sindi keesan wrote:
> My neighbor's Windows (2000?, ME?, about 600 MHz) computer has been having
> problems for a year or two and he says now it is dead, won't even boot into
> Windows, and he suspects a virus.

Please excuse, I am relatively un-expert. "it is dead" - you figuring the
hardware is probably OK, but the software is messed up?

If it can boot with DOS floppy, use HWinfo, for example, and check the
hardware. And, if need be, physically check it - cables, connections, CPU
and memory seated, replace doubtful RAM (even with a smaller total Mb for
the interim, if necessary), etc etc. You are very competent with hardware.
Does the computer overheat? Fan? Dirty?

http://www.hwinfo.com/

> We are going to use F-Prot on it.

Good!

Look at http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
I no longer have a high-speed connection, but could make and US-mail you a
copy of a very slightly older version of Damn Small, as a "live CD" to boot
Linux from.

Regards,
Sheldon Isaac