baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 with PCMCIA compact flash adaptor

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 with PCMCIA compact flash adaptor
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:18:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

David Moberg wrote:

You need the ide_cs module.

You also need to add "device" and "card"
specifications to /etc/pcmcia/config

---------------------------
device "ide_cs"
class "ide" module "ide_cs"
---------------------------
That configs ide_cs as a possible device.

--------------------------------
card "ACE DoubleFlash 20MB"
version "IBM", "IBM17JSSFP20"
bind "ide_cs"

card "Simple Tech Compact Flash"
version "STI Flash"
bind "ide_cs"
--------------------------------
Those (examples) tell cardmgr to load ide_cs when it
reads those ID strings from inserted cards. You will
need to substitue the ID string from your actual card
-OR- use the manfid values from your card -OR- put in
a function line (instead of version or manfid).

I got it working as follows.

Copied ide_cs.o to /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc in BL3 (via a floppy disk form a computer with a CD-ROM drive as I don't want to learn to use an external backpack parport CD-ROM drive yet).

Added insmod ide_cs.o to the /etc/pcmcia/start file.

Ran start and was predictably told that the card was not identified.

Did some web research and discovered you can type cardmgr (without the -o) for information on this card.

cardmgr: product info "Sundisk", "SDP", "5/3 0.6"
manfid: 0x0045, 0x0401 function: 4 (fixed disk)

I added to /etc/pcmcia/config

device "ide_cs"
class "ide" module "ide_cs"

I then added:
card "Sundisk"
function 4 (fixed disk)
bind "ide_cs"

cardmgr -o complained about the line with 'fixed disk' so I tried removing that string but got some error message about the socket being busy.

I replaced the function line with
manfid 0x0045, 0x0401

got the same error message so I rebooted and that fixed something

(I tried later with function 4 instead of the manfid line and it worked).

so as middle line use:
function 4 or manfid 0x0045, 0x0401 (for your particular card)

Rebooting got me info in dmesg that I now have an hdc, which is ide1.
(The laptop computer has one hard drive ide0, and now this compact flash memory in the PCMCIA adaptor as ide1)

I got the error message
executing: ./ide start hdc
+sh ./ide: not found

I was able to mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt and it contained the photos.
I unmounted /mnt and tried to automate the process with cardmgr.

It apparently wants a file named start in ./ide so I made it one:
mount /dev/hdc1 /flash
chmod +x start

mkdir /flash - the directory I will mount my flash memory to.

I ran start and it mounted my flash drive automatically this time
and I can cd /flash and there I find ./dcim with the subdirectory containing the photos.

If Xvesa were working on this computer in more than 4 colors I could view the photos with it. I need to put on zgv from SW4.0.

Now I rebooted to try again and the 'start' command in ./ide still is not working:

executing ./ide start hdc
+sh ./ide: permission denied (instead of 'not found')

I checked and start is +x.

This is not important as I can easily mount /flash manually, but how do I fix it?

Should function 4 work for all PCMCIA flash card adaptors?
Would the user still have to modify the first line to match the card name?