baslinux - [BL] Xvesa versus Microsoft Mouse

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Xvesa versus Microsoft Mouse
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:20:20 +0000 (UTC)

Having learned to use a 3-button mouse, I plugged in a black one from China that had been working in linux in another computer - it won't work in Xvesa in this Asus computer (if you move it the cursor does not move). (Same computer won't play stereo .wav files in linux but will in DOS).

In the meantime I moved the 2button PS/2 to my new computer so it was not available now.

So I got our last unemployed PS/2 mouse (other than one which only worked in two computers), a genuine Microsoft, and plugged it into the Asus computer, and typed x10 (my alias for 1024 res) and got some error message. /usr/X11/bin/Xvesa - 'illegal instruction'. With a different 3-button (white, China) it all works again.

I put the Microsoft mouse into the DFI computer from which I robbed the 3-button white 'made in China' which works everywhere.

In this DFI computer the Microsoft mouse works in DOS (as it did in the Asus), with gpm mouse, and with svgalib (I had already commented out the acceleration line).

Xvesa works despite this mouse in the DFI but the mouse cursor scoots to the far right and stays there, same as when I try to use svgalib with some other mice and don't disable the acceleration. (Some mice work without disabling acceleration but I don't need it anyway).

How do I disable mouse acceleration in Xvesa? The documentation is not helpful. I tried -2button (which it is) - same problem.

Maybe the black mouse will work here (the one that in the Asus lets Xvesa load but the cursor won't move). Evidently there are at least four kinds of PS/2 mouse.

This 2-button is marked on the back 'Mouse Port Compatible' but it works fine in Win98, DOS, gpm and svgalib so I think it is just the acceleration that needs fixing in Xvesa.

We found a USB connector that appeared to match the voltages and pins on one board but discovered the computer had only USB keyboard support, not general USB support, and would not work even in Win98 with a USB mouse.
There are at least three types of USB connector and at least two types of PS/2 mouse connector. I hope things got more standardized by now with USB.