baslinux - Re: [BL] ssh and telnet as 'user'

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ssh and telnet as 'user'
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:47:55 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I dialed as 'root' then switched terminals and logged in as 'user'
> and ssh followed by the login@URL tells me 'permission denied'.
> Telnet 'cannot open connection'. I had already done chmod +x ssh
> for it to be executable by everyone (it would not work even as root
> before this).

Try chmod 777 ssh, to allow everyone full access.

> I am trying to follow instructions to go online as user, also
> trying to see if I can print email at my shell account to my own
> printer, as 'user'. I can print it offline as user (text) by
> setting up printcap and some filters, actually text uses the
> default lpr line, I think.
> (If I dial the shell account in DOS and then read a mail with pine
> I can type Y and answer y and it prints the mail from there to my
> printer).
>
> insmod parport
> insmod parport_pc (these lines activate the printer port?)
> insmod lp (line printer?)
> lpd (starts printing demon)
>
> Switch terminals and login as user (no password requested)
>
> lpr filename - it prints on lp0 (default lpr) when I am offline.
> I forget how to stop a print job - kill the process number?

I have a cancel command on my system. YMMV. On other systems it's
lp-and-some-letter-of-the-alphabet. I forget which.

> I want to try this online but I cannot even get online as user.
>
> Why is lpr an 'offline printer'?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by that. Who says it's an offline
printer?

> I already did chown -R user /home/user so that I could download
> files to that directory while online.
>
> How do I get ssh and telnet to work for 'user'?

Give everyone permission to use them and any devices they require.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com