baslinux - Re: [BL] Can you use 2-floppy BL3 on a computer with DSL connection?

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can you use 2-floppy BL3 on a computer with DSL connection?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:01:21 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> How is a 'cable modem' connected to a computer? I just discovered
> the owner of the broadband computer has comcast.

Same way as a DSL connection box, ethernet or USB. I put modem in scare
quotes because it's not a modem, it's more like a network router + card.

> >> Do you know of some other small distribution that would work better
> >> in this situation?
> >
> > I don't think another distribution will be much better. BL, as you know,
> > is designed to be a distribution that can connect to the Internet in
> > a small space.
>
> I looked at other 1 and 2 floppy distributions and a few of them
> had diallers, or 'links,' but none had graphics. How would the
> ones without diallers be used, with dchp and ethernet?

Yeah, same procedure. If you're going for really small, there's that
1diskxwin distribution. Xvesa and an X11 web browser on just one
1.44 mb floppy. You need an ethernet connection on a card that takes
the ne or 3c59x module to get on the Internet, though.

> HAL91 looked useful for parallel port zip drive - it boots from one
> disk and the second disk has scsi modules and ppa, works in 8MB ram
> on a 386, ftp, telnet, pppd. It has an editable rc file that you
> can make changes to but I did not understand how you would change
> configuration files.
>
> Would it be possible to put BL2 or BL3 on 100MB parport zip drive
> then set up 2-floppy BL2 with these modules (delete unneeded
> modules and add scsi_mod and sd_mod and ppa), boot from floppy disk
> and mount then chroot to zip drive? This would be smaller and
> lighter than a laptop computer to take to friends' houses. Add an
> external modem. This assumes friends will have serial ports and
> floppy drives.

Who needs chroot? If you can detail the procedure you use to load
the modules and mount a zip drive, I can make a floppy that will load
the kernel off the floppy, load modules, mount the zip drive, and boot
the rest of BL from there.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com