baslinux - Re: [BL] Can you use 2-floppy BL3 on a computer with DSL connection?

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can you use 2-floppy BL3 on a computer with DSL connection?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:45:00 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > Same way as a DSL connection box, ethernet or USB. I put modem in scare
> > quotes because it's not a modem, it's more like a network router + card.
>
> Would this also most likely have IP number 192.168.1.254?

Perhaps. Try netsetup and see if it will get everything in order.

> > Who needs chroot? If you can detail the procedure you use to load
> > the modules and mount a zip drive, I can make a floppy that will load
> > the kernel off the floppy, load modules, mount the zip drive, and boot
> > the rest of BL from there.

> The drive is going to be mailed to us some day but I think the
> procedure is to boot, insmod scsi_mod, insmod sd_mod, maybe also
> ide-scsi (? with parameters?), insmod ppa, mount /dev/sda4. I could
> probably put all this in rc but how would I boot from sda4? Using
> lilo and a /boot directory on the disk?

Actually, it wouldn't be too dissimilar from the way BL3 loop boots.
Only, instead of looking on your hard drives for the loop file, it
would look on the zip drive.

> I only know how to use loadlin (or stick in a 2-floppy BL3).

I think I may know enough from what you've just told me to make a
floppy image for you. Now that my geocities webspace is working I
can post it there. I'll use grub so that it's easy to replace the
kernel on the floppy with one of your own.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com