baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 LOOP to hda2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: dos AT lieber.com.ar, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 LOOP to hda2
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:14:37 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Alejandro Lieber wrote:

On 17 Jan 05 at 15:36, sindi keesan wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Alejandro Lieber wrote:

I transferred my 10Mby BL3 loop to hda2 in a 8Mbytes 486DLC.
MidNight Commander and Mutt are included. No X.

These are the results:

Loop hda2

Free (used) 6052 Kbytes 3596 Kbytes
(free) 980 Kbytes 3436 Kbytes

It seems that working in loop, nearly 2500 Kbytes more memory is
required.

I cannot duplicate your results. I get the following for FREE using
mem=3M in my loadlin line (or similarly for 8M):

TOTAL USED FREE SHARED BUFFERS
loop 1716 1468 248 480 360

hd 1716 1516 200 484 144
I had several modules automatically loaded (ppp, slh, parport,
parport_pc).

I also have several modules automatically loaded.
Midnight Commander is also loaded automatically to tty2.

To compare with what I get, I think you should try with 8Mby of
memory.

I did that too and it was similar:

I ended my boot batch file with mem=8M on a fast computer with lots of RAM normally)

TOTAL USED FREE SHARED BUFFERS
loop 6784 6456 328 484 4432
hd 6784 6556 228 484 4464

With this larger amount of RAM it is an extra 100K used. But not 2500K.
The hd version gives you 50% more free RAM so it is definitely a good idea to use the ext2 BL3 on computers with little RAM.

Perhaps the difference gets larger as you load more modules and programs.

Sindi, don't you have a keyboard module loaded ?
In what country are you ?

No,I live in the USA and my native language is English. I translate into English from Slavic languages so I need to have the screen fonts but I don't type in those languages. I can read a few other languages too: a little bit of Spanish, German, some French, a bit of Italian (I studied Latin) and Dutch (I read grammar books) and I studied but forgot Romanian, Turkish, Greek, Sanskrit, Classical Armenian, Hittite (with Lydian, Luwian and Lycian). I can speak a little Albanian. But I write letters by hand or in Latin alphabet if they are not in English. I would like to be able to type Russian and Czech.

So far we have gotten Christof's printer fonts to print but they are shifted half a space to the right, on an Epson PS/ESC Stylus 800. The command to load the downloadable fonts does not work on my Panasonic KXP1124 with LQ emulation - it needs different commands and probably some
more RAM for the print buffer.

> > Alejandro. >

Read net news (USENET) with Arachne: http://www.lieber.com.ar/nnews.zip
Sans Serif fonts for MS-DOS at: http://www.lieber.com.ar/novafont.zip
Configurable dialing menu for several DOS internet programs at:
http://www.lieber.com.ar/dial_ip.zip