baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 LOOP to hda2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: dos AT lieber.com.ar, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 LOOP to hda2
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:36:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Alejandro Lieber wrote:

I transferred my 10Mby BL3 loop to hda2 in a 8Mbytes 486DLC.
MidNight Commander and Mutt are included. No X.

These are the results:

Loop hda2

Free (used) 6052 Kbytes 3596 Kbytes
(free) 980 Kbytes 3436 Kbytes

It seems that working in loop, nearly 2500 Kbytes more memory is
required.

I cannot duplicate your results. I get the following for FREE using mem=3M in my loadlin line (or similarly for 8M):

TOTAL USED FREE SHARED BUFFERS
loop 1716 1468 248 480 360

hd 1716 1516 200 484 144
I had several modules automatically loaded (ppp, slh, parport, parport_pc).

On the other computer
1716 1592 124 484 104

Why is this computer using more RAM? Because I have automatically insmoded ppp, slhc, rtl8139, and the three CDROM modules.
The first computer has ppp slhc parport and parport_pc automaticallyloaded and would use less RAM without them loaded.

3M RAM no modules loaded on other computer
loop 1716 1516 140 484 348
hd 1716 1508 208 484 128

Difference is 208 versus 140K free (68K) or 8K less used.
Steven, please explain again how to interpret buffers. Why is the loop version using more buffers and is this RAM actually available for use? If so, it is only an 8K difference in available RAM between loop and hd versions without modules loaded. With modules loaded the difference is as much as 48K - does the loop version load modules differently?

While trying to check this on the other computer I was unable to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del in BL3 hd. I could type reboot to reboot. I notice there is no /sbin/shutdown. Is typing reboot okay or does it mess things up?

I then tried to figure out how to mount the fs.img from BL2 hd in order to copy the files to ext2 since on two computers the loop BL3 has a kernel panic and won't boot.

I read linuxrc in /initrd of BL3 loop and then
mkdir /DOS
insmod loop
mount -t msdos /dev/hda3 /DOS
losetup /dev/loop0 /DOS/baslin/fs.img

Command not found.

I do not have losetup - but am I on the right track? Will the above put the file system from fs.img onto /dev/loop0 whence I could try to copy it directly to /dev/hdb1? Or can I copy the BL3 filesystem from fs.img without using loop, while in BL2?

I am pleased to report that the ssh.gz posted by Steven (I think it is compiled statically for all BLs) works for accessing both sdf and my local bbs (which latter cannot be accessed with microcom). Very simple:
ssh keesan AT grex.org
Answer yes to the question about adding this to the list.
(Next time no question.)
Give password.

Make a 1-letter alias if you don't like typing the line with @.
Is there some way to include the password in the alias?

Kermit also comes with an ssh and if you ssh somewhere with kermit you can do kermit file transfer after that. Kermit file transfer also works over a kermit telnet connection. This saves having to open another connection (FTP, or ftpput, or wget if you first move your file to the html directory) to do a file transfer.

Kermit file transfer does NOT work over the non-kermit telnet or ssh for BL.